Topic: 3D Software that will map to a 2D Plane for printing on Hydrographic

I have a customer that wants me to map his 3D model to a 2D plane so that I can print that layout on my 2D Hydrographic film so he can dip/apply it to his 3D prints. My max print area is 4 ft x 8 ft.

He is beginning to print 3D models of his Duck Decoys, and he saw this video on youtube (video below) and wants me to print film specifically for his decoys. He is a regular hydrographic film customer and I want to do everything I can do to make him happy. Normally I just print a generic feather patterns for him and he fills in the other areas with airbrushing.

So, the question is, Does anybody know of a software that will "Flatten" a 3D model? The 3D models he sent me are .stl and .blender formats.

LexiGraphic Design Group| Anderson, SC | 864.832.7446 Printrbot GO Large 12x24 bed

Re: 3D Software that will map to a 2D Plane for printing on Hydrographic

Because you've included the video which represents that which you are trying to achieve, I would expect that you've done some basic searches on the internet. I've been following the progress of this technology, but the public side of it is nearly zero. If the capability is there, it's not being offered for purchase or as a service from a vendor.

I'm sure there's some sophisticated programming involved, as well as the robotics/mechanicals of the hardware necessary to push the object into the film in the correct location to accomplish the desired results.

I'll be surprised if someone accomplishes this at a consumer level before the end of the decade, but I've been surprised before.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

3 (edited by studebaker 2015-09-06 17:04:33)

Yes indeed... fred_dot_u  That is what I'm working on... Producing it at the consumer level, or at least at the manufacturing level.  I can print the hydrographics now, what I'm needing is a way to create a texture map from the 3D object into a 2D plane... It's done on a regular basis with texture mapping 2D maps/pictures to 3D objects, I just want to do it reverse so I can print it to the physical world.

These folks http://www.finuvo.io/ are just putting preprinted hydrographic film on 3D objects, I want to custominze the whole process. To map the coloration to a specific object.

I need to do this... Create a texture map from an existing 3D duck decoy object.

https://www.cosc.brocku.ca/Offerings/3P98/course/lectures/texture/bp2.jpg

LexiGraphic Design Group| Anderson, SC | 864.832.7446 Printrbot GO Large 12x24 bed

Someone on another forum gave me this insight...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping#UV_programs

It seems that a couple of those programs will work for what I'm needing to do.

So if anybody wants to try this for their 3D model decoration, send me your texturemap and I'll print it on hydrographic film for you to try for yourself! I'll even send a few copies so you can practice and get the the ink positioned just right.

If anybody is thinking about taking me up on my offer to print your texture map on hydrographic film, keep in mind that you need to print your model in white... The inks requires a white background to appear correctly.

Blender is very capable of rendering the texture maps for 3d models (similar to what you posted above), but I am not sure about exporting the maps for use in other applications? might be worth investigating?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I will try it... The price of Blender is just right!  Al I need is to export a raster file, so it may work.

Good Luck! hope it works for you

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thank you to all the forum 3D printers for your advise. I've finally settled on using Blender for the texture/UV mapping of the model.

Also, thanks to everybody that has requested sample packs of my custom printed hydrographic film. I sincerely hope you find a great and profitable use for it!

If anybody else would like a sample pack of the custom film send me your contact information, I will glad to accommodate. This whole 3D decoration process is getting really interesting!