Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

My Z06 Brake Ducts !!!! super cheap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z06 Brake Ducts !!!! super cheap

Here are pics from the drives side (sorry no passanger side it too damn cold today)....

These are stock brake ducts off a Z06 Corvette. They sell for about $15 per side from what I'm told.

They come a little bit longer and aim towards the ground. On the Z06 they mount into the factory spliter. I cut out about 4 inches and rotated the opening to point forward. Then used 4, 1/8th inch rivits to hold it together.

Then I used some scrap aluminium and scrap heavy guage galvinized sheet metal to make my mounts. You can see I used the engine mount as a mounting point. I simply removed the stock washer I think that I will be replacing the lock nuts too before the next track event.

They should be just what I need to keep my brakes cool enough. It could be tweeked to make them even more efficent but at this point its all the cooling I need.

Thanx for looking

Edit as I was told these were the wrong part # Sorry guys

Last edited by vbspec; 01-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Default Re: My Z06 Brake Ducts !!!! super cheap

looks like a good idea.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

oh, and glad to see that my steering rack isn't the ony one to leak a lil'
Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The stearing rack isn't leaking... The car likes to shread inside CV boots and spray grease every where.. I'm on # 3 and counting....
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you would need to get the air more directly onto the rotor, that openeing seems so far away... id get some tubing and extend it into the inside of the wheel
Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The C6 Z06 supposedly comes with those ducts but I can't find a part # or any reference to them.

Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) sells a kit for $200 that includes the ducts and some hi-temp hose.

East Coast Supercharging uses the DRM kit and adds aluminum spindle holders for $360
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vbspec
The stearing rack isn't leaking... The car likes to shread inside CV boots and spray grease every where.. I'm on # 3 and counting....

might be heathing the boots up a bunch. i remember a while back i was talking to the RTR guys (when they still ran the dc2's) and they were having a ton of cv boot failures and it turned out that they were heating and expanding to the point of exploding/breaking. they had to run some ducting to cool the boots. maybe it will help you or maybe not.

nice work with the brake ducts. simple, cheap and will work.

later,

drew
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very neat idea. I really like the kit with the aluminum bracket thingy, but $360, eesh. I guess one could fab one up pretty easily off that picture. The tube, C5 Z06 I'm assuming, or C6?

For the CV boots, have you jammed one of the little WD40 tubes between the axle and the boot? That helps some.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally found the GM part numbers. The outlet size is 2.5". Seems that DRM developed the design and GM copied it on the new C6 Z06. The DRM is the higher priced item and has a larger 3.5" outlet.

GMpartshouse.com

Part # 15829066 Rt. Side $7.15
Part # 15829067 LFt Side $7.15

Shipping $8.95

Quantum Motorsports sells a $65 S2000 spindle mounted duct plate kit that might work with this kit. Assuming Honda uses the same dust shield hole spacing on all Honda front knuckles, it would bolt right up.
http://www.quantummotorsports.com/s2000_kits.htm

Last edited by RStoR; 01-18-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Sexy Cheese Cake

That some awesome stuff.

About the dust shield kit. Just curious. It looks more like they would be selling you the adapter and you bolt it up to your current dust shield. Since it seems it bolts up. So i dont think its dust shield specific but i could be wrong. Just assuming here. If thats the case, Wouldnt take much to fab up your own little adapter.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RStoR
The C6 Z06 supposedly comes with those ducts but I can't find a part # or any reference to them.

Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) sells a kit for $200 that includes the ducts and some hi-temp hose.

East Coast Supercharging uses the DRM kit and adds aluminum spindle holders for $360
This is the kit he was replacing his stock ones for.
Here are the part #'s RT side 15252919, LF side 15252920 I found then online for $6 per side.

Originally Posted by ZUL8R
i think you would need to get the air more directly onto the rotor, that openeing seems so far away... id get some tubing and extend it into the inside of the wheel
I'm thinking about it, but when the guys from Hawk Brakes were taking temps at VIR last March my temps were in the mid 800's. That being said if I add power or better tires I'm sure a few inches of hose per side will be needed.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

idealy you want the air getting tino the center of the rotor where the vents are to blow air through the rotor, no at the rotor (hense, the duct plates in the vette kit) but if you realy need ducting, anything will help
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are actually several ways of doing it. the center rotor technique is good... but so is a caliper and piston shroud for caliper running hollow pistons
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a cheap way to get temps down.... any pyrometer results?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm heading back to VIR at the end of Feb. I hope to have a friend of mine shot some tire temps so I guess brake temps could be done by running with tape over the inlet.

I'll try to update this after the weekend.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 PM

even cheaper lol

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=522239
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just ordered these ducts from the part number given, and the number is wrong, got some plastic peice that has no use to me.

Here are pics from the drives side (sorry no passanger side it too damn cold today)....

These are stock brake ducts off a Z06 Corvette. They sell for about $15 per side from what I'm told.

They come a little bit longer and aim towards the ground. On the Z06 they mount into the factory spliter. I cut out about 4 inches and rotated the opening to point forward. Then used 4, 1/8th inch rivits to hold it together.

Then I used some scrap aluminium and scrap heavy guage galvinized sheet metal to make my mounts. You can see I used the engine mount as a mounting point. I simply removed the stock washer I think that I will be replacing the lock nuts too before the next track event.

They should be just what I need to keep my brakes cool enough. It could be tweeked to make them even more efficent but at this point its all the cooling I need.

Thanx for looking

Edit updated with Chevy part #'s
RT side 15252919, LF side 15252920
Found for $6 per side on line.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mx621
just ordered these ducts from the part number given, and the number is wrong, got some plastic peice that has no use to me.
Wow, really? I was gonna try it too!

Anyone know what the correct part numbers are?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how is the air going to flow into that tube? from under the bumper? I think the air flow in that area will be minimal or very little compared to if you grab air front the front of the bumper
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Dude I got the #'s by calling the parts counter of one of our local Chevy dealers. I thought I explained what I needed pretty well.

Originally Posted by essex
how is the air going to flow into that tube? from under the bumper? I think the air flow in that area will be minimal or very little compared to if you grab air front the front of the bumper
Well mine sit about 1 1/2 inches under the bottom of the bumper so they are in the air stream, as I have no lip or splitter. You could very easily add a 3 inch hose and run it to an opening of the front bumper. My home track is VIR and with the speeds my little 122 HP LS get the car up to, brakes are not a big problem. I do plan on changing tires next year and with the added grip (running 5 year old RA1's now) I may be able to generate a little more heat, but as of right now they should be just fine.

Again Sorry for the wrong part #'s if I have time this week I may try to get by a Chevy dealer and see if I can get the right ones. RStoR posted some part #'s as well has anyone tried his?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good ****
Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no big deal, as soon as i saw the box on my step i knew it was wrong. i tried looking for a microfish style parts sheet and had trouble. these are from a C6 zo6 correct, not C5.

Sorry Dude I got the #'s by calling the parts counter of one of our local Chevy dealers. I thought I explained what I needed pretty well.

Well mine sit about 1 1/2 inches under the bottom of the bumper so they are in the air stream, as I have no lip or splitter. You could very easily add a 3 inch hose and run it to an opening of the front bumper. My home track is VIR and with the speeds my little 122 HP LS get the car up to, brakes are not a big problem. I do plan on changing tires next year and with the added grip (running 5 year old RA1's now) I may be able to generate a little more heat, but as of right now they should be just fine.

Again Sorry for the wrong part #'s if I have time this week I may try to get by a Chevy dealer and see if I can get the right ones. RStoR posted some part #'s as well has anyone tried his?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no big deal, as soon as i saw the box on my step i knew it was wrong. i tried looking for a microfish style parts sheet and had trouble. these are from a C6 zo6 correct, not C5.
No it was a C6 Z06 they came off of. The owner had stuffed it into the tire wall at VIR and was having the car realigned and diffrent ducting installed then it was off to the body shop.