SAU Community

Rear Mount / Mid Mount Turbo

jordan101

hey i'm new to this site and loving it now i've got some question's reguarding placing a turbo under the car. I know that it can be done but i want to know how the car will feel. My thoughts say it'll laggy as a MOFO But i've done a lot of searching and some people say it can be responsive but i found nothing on skyline motor's.

What are everyones thoughts?

post-69290-1261357494_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey i'm new to this site and loving it now i've got some question's reguarding placing a turbo under the car. I know that it can be done but i want to know how the car will feel. My thoughts say it'll laggy as a MOFO But i've done a lot of searching and some people say it can be responsive but i found nothing on skyline motor's.

Hey mate, honestly I dont have a clue what your asking. The car will feel........different depeing on what turbo is on it.

Are you asking whether or not a turbo can be responsive on an rb20 or 25? yes of course it can be as long as you dont put on a gt40 or something stupid. need a little more information. Also, why would you want to put the turbo UNDER the car like that? It will get covered in shit and dirt and just crap everywhere. It wont be anywhere near as responsive as having it in the engine bay. Are you a P plater trying to hide the turbo or something?

Cheers

Lukas

Edited by Lukas 33

Hey mate, honestly I dont have a clue what your asking. The car will feel........different depeing on what turbo is on it.

Are you asking whether or not a turbo can be responsive on an rb20 or 25? yes of course it can be as long as you dont put on a gt40 or something stupid. need a little more information. Also, why would you want to put the turbo UNDER the car like that? It will get covered in shit and dirt and just crap everywhere. It wont be anywhere near as responsive as having it in the engine bay. Are you a P plater trying to hide the turbo or something?

Cheers

Lukas

sorry about not putting enough info. I want to use either the standard turbo or upgrade to something a little bigger and hiflow. I want the turbo under the driver's seat as that will have the most room if i cut out a massive square hole under the drivers seat and weld in a box as high/deep as i can fit.

I will be making another box to cover the turbo with to prevent all the dirt and anything else that on the road from getting to the turbo and also a rail welded to the body or chassis to prevent the turbo from coming in contact with the road. The box will have pipe's running through it for air filter, intercooler, exhaust header pipe, oil drain line, wastegate pipe.

so in other words, not only do you want to put a standard/hiflow turbo in, you want to add another 40ish kg of metal just so you can say youve got a turbo under your car? its got absolutely zero (or less) performance gain and you'll need a hiflow just to offset the weight you've added lol.

that pic looks like its on a rear engine motor like an mr2 or something where there isnt much space to add a big turbo. there is plenty of space in a skyline so scrap this idea and move onto another radical, school holiday worthy idea.

yeh and what car is it for? And why are you hiding the turbo? Are you a P plater looking to be sneaky sneaky with the turbo? honestly I don't care if you are I was just wondering. Hell if I couldnt have a turbo car legally I would probably be sneaky like that aswell. LUNCH TIME

yeh and what car is it for? And why are you hiding the turbo? Are you a P plater looking to be sneaky sneaky with the turbo? honestly I don't care if you are I was just wondering. Hell if I couldnt have a turbo car legally I would probably be sneaky like that aswell. LUNCH TIME

Either R32 or R33 - I haven't bought anything yet.

as for me trying to do something illegal; Police patrol car forum's

Either R32 or R33 - I haven't bought anything yet.

as for me trying to do something illegal; Police patrol car forum's

I patrol car forums too :P If you are the anal about it then shoot me a PM. I just would like to know the reason why the hell anyone would do it unless it was an MR2 or something like that.

Oh son of rajab I just thought of something. How do you know Im not a cop in disguise trying to weed out your every little secrets. Do you have NOS installed? Coz thats illegal......lol if your reading this <Insert Name Here>.... But what exactly is the intended purpose or reason?

I cannot see any purpose or real reason this could have for being done on the skyline since all the extra effort and everything that is involved and you still wont have any gains as to having the turbo setup in the enigne and even if it is for hiding purposes where would stick the intercoller under the car aswell and what if the cop looks under the car as they usualy do when looking if too low so as I said i cant see any real reasons for this

so in other words, not only do you want to put a standard/hiflow turbo in, you want to add another 40ish kg of metal just so you can say youve got a turbo under your car? its got absolutely zero (or less) performance gain and you'll need a hiflow just to offset the weight you've added lol.

that pic looks like its on a rear engine motor like an mr2 or something where there isnt much space to add a big turbo. there is plenty of space in a skyline so scrap this idea and move onto another radical, school holiday worthy idea.

nah its either gmh (v series) or yankie, it is common practice in the states to rear mount turbos on V6 and V8's as it is less visible to cops and much more room. Quite a few kits for sport compacts over in the states have kits to mount up at the rear.

Do a google search you will see heaps.... lots of dodgy ones though. If done correctly it can work well i remmeber seeing a 6 sec PRO STREET mustang

(late model) at an american car show with two t51r's in the boot space. with boot shut it just looked like a killer tubbed street car.

Here is a US site with a MONARO (GTO) admittedly its an abortion but it is a twin setup http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343395

Here are the better kits http://www.ststurbo.com/home

nah its and old skool car, it is common practice in the states to rear mount turbos on V6 and V8's as it is less visible to cops and much more room.

Do a google search you will see heaps.... lots of dodgy ones though. If done correctly it can work well i remmeber seeing a 6 sec PRO STREET car at an american car show with two t51r's in the boot space. with boot shut it just looked like a killer tubbed street car.

jesus christ. TWO T51r in the damn boot. Insane! I think there would be a little too much intercooler piping if you wanted to do that on a skyline :P Wouldn't it lose a lot of responsiveness?

I also imagine it would add to lag, the gas will cool as it travels away from the combustion chamber effectively leaving less gas to drive the turbine wheel

That's my main concern.

I got the idea from an american forum that where guy's do it alot to their corvettes, Monaro's etc

And yes, I will be getting my P's soon and as everybody knows Vic Roads seem to think that it's HP that kill's and not speed itself.

If i had my full licence i wouldn't waste my time with such a job when the space is right there in the bay.

Car won't be low so hopefully copper's won't check ride height + Turbo will be sitting through the floor pan and in a box that's painted black so shouldn't be *too* noticable

Edited by jordan101

the reason you havent found anything relating to "rear/mid mounted" turbos on skylines is that its really not necessary, they were designed with a turbo in the perfect position. it may have been done before on other cars without the space in the engine bay, but that doesnt make it a good (or even viable) solution.

from what i can make out, the only reason you are thinking of this is from a p plater legality point of view, but you do realise there will be big ugly pipes going to and from this secret box of yours and any half mechanically minded person who looks at your engine bay will know something's not normal. add to this the ancillaries you'll need to support this and it makes it even more obvious, you can only hide so much.

its good to think and research stuff like this when you're new to turbos, but more often than not if its a great idea then it would have been done plenty of times b4.

scrap the idea and save up til your off p's i reckon :P

the reason you havent found anything relating to "rear/mid mounted" turbos on skylines is that its really not necessary, they were designed with a turbo in the perfect position. it may have been done before on other cars without the space in the engine bay, but that doesnt make it a good (or even viable) solution.

from what i can make out, the only reason you are thinking of this is from a p plater legality point of view, but you do realise there will be big ugly pipes going to and from this secret box of yours and any half mechanically minded person who looks at your engine bay will know something's not normal. add to this the ancillaries you'll need to support this and it makes it even more obvious, you can only hide so much.

its good to think and research stuff like this when you're new to turbos, but more often than not if its a great idea then it would have been done plenty of times b4.

scrap the idea and save up til your off p's i reckon :D

Yeh save till you are on your opens. Put your money into building a nice rb26/30 and then when you are on your opens just drop it in :P

Yeh save till you are on your opens. Put your money into building a nice rb26/30 and then when you are on your opens just drop it in :P

yeah fair enough but thats easier said than done for someone in my position. i would rather get the job done , route all the piping close to the chassis railing and have all in matte black to make it look somewhat stock. otherwise just drive it stock turbo, keep it a sleeper and if i get caught sell up and buy something legal.

FFS just wait till you can drive one legally and forget such a stupid idea.

The people that do rear mounted turbo's do it for other reasons, not to hide it from the police.

It's a stupid amount of work involved, not as easy as you are thinking, adds more weight to the car and your going to be cutting the floor pan underneath the drivers seat....umm yeah that aint dodgy and finally cops aint f**king stupid. Any half clued cop will find that something aint right within a few minutes.

Also are you doing this to a GTST or a GTS? Cause if it is a GTST it don't matter if you hide the turbo in your glove box, car is complianced and registered as a turbo car, end of story.

God school holidays are always a laugh on these forums, this P plater turbo crap gets brought up every time. Kid's thinking they have thought of something new that will let them through the laws that no one has thought about before, give me a break.

Edited by PM-R33

FFS just wait till you can drive one legally and forget such a stupid idea.

The people that do rear mounted turbo's do it for other reasons, not to hide it from the police.

It's a stupid amount of work involved, not as easy as you are thinking, adds more weight to the car and your going to be cutting the floor pan underneath the drivers seat....umm yeah that aint dodgy and finally cops aint f**king stupid. Any half clued cop will find that something aint right within a few minutes.

Also are you doing this to a GTST or a GTS? Cause if it is a GTST it don't matter if you hide the turbo in your glove box, car is complianced and registered as a turbo car, end of story.

God school holidays are always a laugh on these forums, this P plater turbo crap gets brought up every time. Kid's thinking they have thought of something new that will let them through the laws that no one has thought about before, give me a break.

hahahahaha! touched a nerve aye phil. If it was me I would just hide it with heat shield etc Actually if it was me I would just drive it as a turbo car and not care :D I need threads like these while Im at work :P

The funny thing is you would get in less trouble from the cops getting caught driving a turbo car (fine, possibly suspended license and a don't do it again type of situation) then you would with a dodgy unsafe turbo set up underneath the car, cutting apart the floor where the passenger seat bolt down is. Not to mention how easy it would be for that turbo to get damaged from hitting something causing an oil line to split and a fire occuring from the exhaust. Then you would get done for exactly the same thing as driving a turbo car, plus a defect note and possibly your car confiscated and a larger fine for an unroadworthy unengineered car.

Well it wont be that laggy, there is less piping as you wont need a front cooler, just put fins on the intake pipe. :)

I wanted twins mounted in the wheel well of my old V8 Soarer, everyone told me I was insane, guess I am.

You could run a standalone oil cooler system with thermo, water from engine. Much less heat than a standard setup too.